In this blog post, I’m going to talk about a new feature that is now available in public preview: Support for HANA System Replication in Azure Backup for HANA.
If you are using SAP HANA databases on Azure VMs, you probably know that Azure Backup provides a backint certified, streaming backup solution that protects your data with minimal impact on performance. But what if you also have HANA System Replication (HSR) enabled for your databases? HSR is a disaster recovery (DR) solution that replicates your data from a primary node to a secondary node in real time.
Until now, if you wanted to use Azure Backup with HSR, you had to manually enable backups on the secondary node after every failover. This was not only tedious, but also required a mandatory full backup after each failover, which increased your backup storage cost and recovery time.
But not anymore! With the new feature in preview, you can now enjoy the following benefits:
- Instant and continuous protection for the HANA System Replication setup with no need for any manual intervention.
- No mandatory full backups after every failover which decreases your backup storage cost.
- A single backup chain which makes recovery easier and cost effective.
To use this feature, you need to follow these steps:
- Create a Recovery Services vault in the same region and subscription as the two VMs/nodes of the HANA System Replication database.
- Discover the unprotected Linux VMs in the vault region and register them with the vault.
- Configure backup for the primary node of the HANA System Replication database using a backup policy.
- Enable backup for the secondary node of the HANA System Replication database using the same backup policy as the primary node.
That’s it! You can now monitor and manage your backups from the Azure portal or PowerShell. You can also restore your databases from any recovery point in the backup chain.
If you want to learn more about this feature and how to enable it, check out this article: https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/updates/public-preview-support-for-hana-system-replication-in-azure-backup-for-hana/
Thanks for reading and happy backing up!