In this blog post, I’m going to share with you how I used Azure Migrate to assess my SQL Server migration or modernization project. Azure Migrate is a free tool that helps you discover, assess, and migrate your on-premises SQL Server databases to Azure SQL Database or Azure SQL Managed Instance.
Here are the steps I followed:
- I installed the Azure Migrate appliance on a Windows Server VM in my on-premises environment. This appliance collects metadata and performance data from my SQL Server instances and sends it to Azure Migrate.
- I created an Azure Migrate project in the Azure portal and added the SQL Server assessment tool. This tool analyzes the data collected by the appliance and provides me with a comprehensive report on the readiness, compatibility, and sizing of my SQL Server databases for migration or modernization.
- I reviewed the report and explored the recommendations and issues for each database. The report also gave me an estimate of the monthly cost for running my databases in Azure SQL Database or Azure SQL Managed Instance.
- I decided to migrate some of my databases to Azure SQL Database and modernize some of them to Azure SQL Managed Instance. I used the Azure Database Migration Service to perform the migration and modernization with minimal downtime and risk.
I hope this blog post was helpful for you. If you want to learn more about Azure Migrate and SQL Server migration or modernization, check out these resources:
- Azure Migrate documentation: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/migrate/
- SQL Server migration guide: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/azure-sql/migration-guides/overview
- SQL Server modernization guide: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/azure-sql/modernization-guides/overview